I care about adoption happening the right way especially through foster care since that is my arena of interest. I also get sentimental as November of last year was when Tigger was finalized and officially a member of the family--my family.
The truth of the matter is, foster care and adoption from foster care should be a topic of interest as it impacts our society. Whether or not children in foster care reunite with family or are adopted into a new family, they are our kids. We interact with them, they go to school with our kids, they are part of our future for a better place. It's high time we got involved in making sure ALL of the children in our community have a good chance at life for a future.
What are some ideas that we can do?
- be more mindful/helpful with the neighbors....especially the neighbors you think are struggling
- be mentors to your children's friends
- be mentors in the community
- Get involved with the department of family services in one way or another (donating, mentorship, contemplate being a foster home or an adoptive home if you feel that it is something you can do no matter how little (or not) gratitude/give back there is
- support families that have adopted from foster care
- be respite homes
- offer services or financial support if a family needs to pay for therapeutic services for their child