Tuesday, September 28, 2010

More Mini book reviews

Just felt like reviewing more books:

Ok, one thing I miss is having an hour to just leisurely read the Bible.....but I do spend some time reading a lesser amount and I found a good devotional that really really speaks to me

"Quiet Moments for a Mother's Heart" 

As far as short devotionals go, this one is a good one....and I consider myself the devotional queen.  Has a page with the devotional thought and then another page or two filled with pertinent Bible verses for you to reflect on. 

"A Love Like No Other--Stories from Adoptive Parents"  Edited by Pamela Kruger and Jill Smolowe

This book I think is great whether or not you have adopted.  The stories in here are amazing.  Some are great, some are sad, all of them just shows the complexity of parenting your own children as every child and every family is different.  This is a book where every chapter is a small essay of a family....different people wrote about their life with their child that they adopted...some dealt with Open adoption, International adoption, domestic, foster care, some with mental illness, others with children that have special needs.....truly a good read.  I shed a couple of tears reading. 

"Adopting the Hurt Child" by Gregory C. Keck, PhD and Regina M. Kupecky, LSW

Great book.....good insights into older child adoption....I didn't advertise most of my journey however, I was matched twice before Tigger...once to a 4 y/o and once to a 5 y/o.....both fell through for different reasons, but I was very close with parenting a 5 y/o so I devoured this book.  Great suggestions for attachment/bonding, how to keep your expectations vs. reality in check, suggestions for when to seak treatment, what kind....great resource especially for adoption through foster care and international adoption. 

"Parenting the Hurt Child" by Gregory C. Keck, PhD and Regina M. Kupecky, LSW

Continuation from the previous book....repeated many things already stated but gave more examples of how to establish attachment.  What does attachment parenting look like.  Why 'normal' parenting may be the worst thing you can do.....where to get resources.  I always recommend these two books to other people. 

"Bringing up Girls" by Dr. James Dobson

My mom was hesitant to buy this for me (it was a gift) because of the focus on two parent families and such....but I think that's great.  The focus of this book is mainly how to instill good morals in girls.  E.g. manners, modest dress, not looking for love in the wrong places...basically stating that girls need to be taught certain skills, it doesn't just come naturally.  Good insights.  Some opinions I disagree with, but I did like the theme of this book and I agree on many points. 

Well those are tonight's mini-reviews.  Next time, more Christian fiction, less adoption oriented books.  Currently enjoying my new series.  The Patrick Bower files....I've read 'The Pawn' 'almost done with 'The Rook'....I just bought 'The Knight' and there is #4 which is 'The bishop'.  Ahh Patrick Bower FBI....you can bet it will come to the mini-review. 

3 comments:

Ticia said...

I keep meaning to get Bringing Up Girls.

Einstein's Brain said...

I just found your blog today. I like it. I am interested in adopting someday. I am also a Seventh-day Adventist. I am single and 30. I am living in South Korea right now.

I found the Reeces Rainbow site for kids with special needs. They provide grants for adoptions. I have decided to give away a pearl necklace I won in July in hopes I can get a blind boy adopted out.

DannieA said...

Christine,

Glad you came by the blog. I hope you come back and let me know how things are going adoption wise. It's also nice to meet another SDA online through blogs.