Tuesday, August 2, 2011
It must be the heat!
I guess I just don't get it. Here are my thoughts on these past few weeks of reading various blogs. this is not aimed at any one forum or blog or anyone....I do read a lot of blogs, and this summer has been a doozy.
1. Just because it's a blog doesn't mean it's private. (Yes that means that people who don't agree with you or who won't have nice things to say may see your blog unless you do privatize it)
2. Just because one doesn't agree with a post, it doesn't give one license to post really negative comments about it. (there are ways to disagree that sound constructive, professional, and neutral while getting your point across...no need to get nasty)
3. Just like one person cites their sources or a quote for their final thesis when doing graduate or a PhD program, one can do that online too as long as it meets "fair use" terms. (yes a copyright is so no one copies and passes it off as their own, it's not a license to not be aware of the 'fair use' terms)
4. However, when doing your research and compiling your thesis for class....books/journal articles etc. aren't people and are very friendly, forums and blogs are manned by live people.....so even though one may be in the right, people are funny and threaten others....so if you think you're dealing with a person that is going to cause trouble....just run screaming into the night.....in the long run, you can probably use something better.
5. Moms, quit going after other moms and I mean specifically....this is why we are constantly stressed out....don't like what someone else is doing (we're talking legal here not anything like drugs or beatings)? then don't do it at your house.
5. Remember blogs and forums are full of "typed words"....."typed words" are missing a very vital ingredient in communication.....PRAGMATICS. You are familiar with it, it's voice inflections, mannerisms, body language, in addition to the content of one's point....so really try to be more understanding, after all, the computer really takes away this vital aspect of communication from us.
ok people, be nice, be kind, be thoughtful, don't be acting a fool.....readers and your blood pressure will thank you for it!