Monday, December 6, 2010

It's quote week

It's a busy time of year, I"m tired, yet want to bring something you can enjoy.  Please enjoy the following quotes....two 'prayers' and a saying from an unknown author.  Hope you are enjoying the Christmas season still. 

Prayer for my shy child


Dear Lord,
Is this one of your little life lessons, a bit of heavenly irony? You give a loud-mouthed extrovert like me the shyest daughter in the history of preschool? Other kids aren’t staring at the toe of their shoe, thumb (or in this case index finger) in mouth, hanging on to their Mama’s knees for dear life. Only my little shrinking violet. She’s so considerate and cautious, such a peaceful, deep-thinking little soul. God knows the world could use more people like her, Lord. And yet, those aren’t exactly traits that play well on the playground. Please remind me that shyness isn’t something I need to “fix.” Please help me to remember that this isn’t anything she chooses, it’s not something I can push her to work through. Because I’m not going to lie, Lord, when I see my girl standing there, all alone outside the circle while everyone else is happily playing Wonder Ball, it’s like a knife to my heart. Especially then, God, help me to remember that the kids outside the circle in preschool can grow up to be adults who think outside the box, and that’s all good. Please help me to honor this shyness as an essential part of who my daughter is. But if it turns out that shyness is something she’s destined to outgrow, that’s good too--and if that’s the case, as always, sooner would be better. Thanks, God
~Tracy Mayor~

Prayer for my Unwashed Hair

Dear God,
I know I look like holy hell, if you’ll pardon the expression. I’d put on a little lipstick if I had any idea where one was--the last tube I used, as you might recall, ended up on the walls of my room. I’d wash my face if this clingy, teething, toddler you have blessed me with would let go of my kneecap for even one minute. *I’d wash this hideous hair if six moms from playgroup weren’t due to pull into our driveway in twenty minutes in their matching SUVs, expecting iced tea and homemade cookies and a family room cleared of choking hazards*. So for now, Lord, please bless my greasy locks and give me the power to fluff them into some semblance of a Perky Mom updo. Also, please give me the vision to find a scrunchie in the next thirty seconds. Thank you, Lord, and amen.
~Tracy Mayor~

*If I were writing this prayer, that’s sentence in bold would read “I’d wash this hideous hair if I didn’t have two IEPs with families that wanted every service known to man for their child and it is just a plain miracle I could find clean slacks and a blouse much less wash my hair with an inseparable child*

The man whispered, "God, speak to me" and a Chickadee sang.

But, the man did not hear.
So the man yelled "God, speak to me!" And, the thunder rolled across the sky.
But, the man did not listen.
The man looked around and said, "God let me see you." And a star shined brightly.
But the man did not notice.
And, the man shouted, "God show me a miracle!" And, a life was born.
But, the man did not know.
So, the man cried out in despair, "Touch me God, and let me know you are here!"
Whereupon, God reached down and touched the man.
But, the man brushed the butterfly away and walked on.

How many times have we missed out on a blessing because it isn't packaged the way that you expect?
~Author Unknown~

No comments: